Still on the topic of UI updates in the next release we also took a look at the Databinding dialog in the Form Designer, which had been in need of a make-over for some time. Based on user feedback we wanted to provide much more information when selecting columns and so applied this to the redesign, which now looks like this:
As you can see, there’s quite a few changes so here’s a brief description of the new features:
- Typing in the Table box uses AutoComplete to provide a matching list of tables
- Typing in the Column box auto-selects the first match in the list below
- The list of columns includes the field position as well as the name
- The list of columns can be sorted from options on the context menu:
- Columns can be filtered by type (F or S)
- Columns can be filtered so that only multi-valued columns are shown (this is the default for columns bound to an EditTable control)
- Use the “No Column Selected” option to clear Databinding information from a control
- The dialog is resizable and remembers the size between calls.
- Summary information for each column can be seen in the grid control on the right (This is view-only and cannot be used to edit the details – this may change in a future update, but not this one).
- Description, Formula, Validation and Heading can be expanded to see their full details
Hopefully this will provide a welcome improvement to working with data-bound forms in the next release.